The Church was constituted a Baptist Church in 1776 and was the first
to be organzied by the Baptists in New Kent County, VA.  The churches
which came later were in part an outgrowth from Emmaus:  Liberty
1845, Hopewell 1842 and Corinth.

The prestige enjoyed by the Emmaus Church was due in a large
measure to the unusual pastoral care rendered by the succession of it's
ministers:  Rev. William Clopton, Rev. James Clopton and Rev. Samuel
C. Clopton, who was the first Missionary from the Southern Baptist
Convention to China.

The Church, first known as the Charles City Church, had it's first
building in Charles City near Nance's Shop.  In 1811 an acre of land was
bought by William Clopton for the Baptist Church.  The first meeting
house was probably built of logs or was a frame building used when the
There is a plaque on the wall of the church as follows:
William Clopton.........................Deacon Pastor 1776 - 1816
his son
James Clopton.........................Pastor 1818 - 1849
his son:
Samuel C. Clopton.........................Born 1816 Died in China 1847
First Missionary of the southern Baptist convention

There is another tablet:
Lieut. William Edmund Clopton...................................1820-1887
Ellen Hill Clopton..............................................1832-1865
Nannie Bacon Clopton............................................1853-1865
William Bacon Clopton...........................................1863-1884
All buried at the home (Oakland), New Kent County
Mary Elizabeth Pierce Clopton...................................1851-1884

The tablet was erected by C. Belle Clopton in affectionate
Rememberance of her father, mother, sister and brothers.
congregation moved from Charles City.  The present brick church was built in 1852 and replaced the log or frame building.  It
stands on the road from Talleysville to Roxbury.  In this area the Emmaus Church Congregation has worshiped for nearly two
centuries.